Friday, July 04, 2014
Being a part of blogadda, a blogging community for Indian Bloggers, I keep on looking for their weekend prompts to challenge the creativity in me. Most of the time, I look at the topic and drop the plan of writing about it citing some kind of excuse. But this time the prompt was:
Your life is going to be made into a novel! Write an introduction for this novel. How will you creatively reflect on your life spent?
I had to stop by and write about it. Writing a book is my dream and many of you know that I am already working on it. This prompt talked about a similar thing – an introduction to the novel, MY STORY. Well, this might not be the final draft of the back cover of my book but the real one would be quite similar to this one.
“She was losing time. She could hear the crazy footsteps marching forward to enslave her and she realized she didn’t have much time. With her listless body and wrinkled skin, she struggled to move forward and tried to grab the handmade collection of blank pages which she had used to pen down her story. Her story was coming to the end and she needed to scribble the last thoughts.”
She is an ordinary girl with extra ordinary dreams. She is a daughter, a lover, a wife and a mother. She is a cry-baby and a fighter. She can bear the extreme pain and at the same time, she possesses the power to make anyone’s soul cry. She is a normal Indian woman. Her life is as ordinary as it can be and it is as special as it can be. The normal life of this girl turned out to be not-so normal and not-so easy one.
Watch out for when she faces the harshest truths of her life just at the time when she needed love and care. Watch out for when she experiences the first heart break when she barely understands what love is. Watch out for when she picks up the broken pieces to build up a new woman and teaches herself to love once again. And just falling in love once again wasn't the end.. That's where it all began!
All she wanted was a fairy-tale like life but what she got was what every one of us get – The Real Life. This is the tale of how a girl learns that life is not what she expected to be during her pleasant childhood and how she struggles to come out of her dream world and accepts the harsh and painful truths of her life. This is the tale of her life when 'life' happened to her.
A 294 word introduction to what MY STORY would be about. How do you find this introduction to my book? Would you be interested to read it?
Friday, June 27, 2014
31 DAY BLOGGING CHALLENGE: WHY TAKING UP A 31 DAY BLOGGING CHALLENGE IS NOT A GOOD IDEA
I know I’m not following the pointers given to me while I took up this challenge, but this is what I want to talk about on my blog today.
Why did I take up the 31 Day blogging challenge?
Well, from the topic you would have already guessed what I’m going to talk about. But there’s one thing you don’t know about – why did I take up this kind of challenge at first place?
I wasn’t that inconsistent with my posts. Neither did I go through a writer’s block. Then why this challenge?
Humans live such a life where they often do stuff which they don’t want to do and ignore what they really want to do. This maybe because of family issues, money issues, peer pressure or anything or everything that happens around us. In our entire life, we hardly find such people who would ask us to leave all the stupid things we do for some reason or other and do what we love. Did you ever meet a person like that?
This is rare and that’s why most of us become the part of the ‘big herd’ (the society). We work like donkeys for fulfilling dreams we never saw with our own eyes. And I am not so proud to be the part of that herd but still I am there like everyone is.
I have to study some stupid subjects just because someone thinks that my intelligence on that particular subject can be tested through a booklet of 32 pages. I have to get a job just because everyone thinks if you get a job, your life becomes easier and tension free.
But while doing so, the thing which I loved always got ignored. It wasn’t like I didn’t have enough time (you always have enough time to do something if you want to do it) but every time I thought of doing it, there was something more important that came in the way.
So, I needed a solution – a solution that would stop me from considering the most important things in my life (things that I love to do) as not so important ones. Also, the reason I mentioned when I started this challenge added up to the problem.
I needed a solution which would make me post everyday without feeling guilty about not paying attention to the ‘important stuff’ in my life. I needed something that would make me calm and willing enough to do the seemingly ‘important stuff’ – studies.
For a person like me, nothing works like a challenge. I can try and fail and quit at some work but you challenge me and I will make sure I give the toughest fight and win. So, the solution was a CHALLENGE.
I had heard a lot about such blogging challenges so I looked for an active blogging challenges. There was none. Then I surfed through Pinterest and picked up this one.. the 31 DAY BLOGGING CHALLENGE
Why 31 Day Blogging Challenge Isn’t a good idea?
Did you read all the posts I have written under this challenge? Today is the 11th day and this is my 11th post of 31 DAY BLOGGING CHALLENGE. But you know what I would never ask you to read all the posts I have written. In fact, I am planning to even delete some posts. Why?
Though all bloggers know that, the normal people might not know our success mantra. It is, ‘CONTENT IS THE KING’. All the successful bloggers have one strong weapon – content and if one loses that, one loses the entire battle. People read your posts for you write well. You are reading my post because you like what I have written.
But what if I write some stupid lines talking about myself and a stupid crush? Just a boring story. You would be so frustrated that chances are you would never visit my blog again.
So in this blogging challenge, instead of writing more stuff, getting more readers for my blog and satisfying my hunger for writing, I am actually writing bad stuff, losing my readers and feeling ashamed of what I write.
And I am sure that’s what happens to many bloggers and that’s why most of the people quit and lose such kind of challenges. What’s the use of writing a bad post that no one would like to read? Instead write a good post which people would love to read, no matter how many days you took to post it. Isn’t that a better idea?
Blogging Challenges like these are meant to inspire you and motivate you enough to make you do what you want to do. They’re not supposed to degrade your work and act like a black dot on your passion. You can take up the challenge and write what the challenge ask you to but that’s all your will. The challenge is to post regularly. Post anything you like, anything you think is good enough. If you find nothing, don’t post.
Challenges like these are for your own self not for showing off. You take such challenges for self improvement. So, do it for your own self not because someone would think you lost a challenge like this.
I hope you got the answer.. why it's not a good idea..
Because it makes you think that you're doing all of this, this challenge thing to prove that you can win. To prove to others that you can win. But in real, you don't need to prove to anyone. All you need to do is 'Do what you love to do'.
P.S. I am still not going to quit.. the posts will keep coming.. see you tomorrow :)
Thursday, June 26, 2014
31 DAY BLOGGING CHALLENGE DAY 10 : MY FIRST CELEBRITY CRUSH
It seems like the challenge is getting difficult. Each day I am given a topic that I would have never thought of. Of course, the initial ones were too basic but then came the real ones.
Piercings and tattoos - I never allowed myself to take time to think about things like these. Celebrity crush - of course, everyone has crushes and I have had too but remembering the first one is way too difficult.
This does require me to go back in time. I do remember my first crush, but celebrities?
At that point of time I was living in a dream world and maybe I didn't even know what a 'crush' actually is and today the challenge wants me to talk about my first celebrity crush.
Truthfully speaking, I really don't remember.
But if I had talk of one celebrity I remember from my past, this is the one:
Eyes like those have always been my weakness (they're even now). This High School Musical star was a perfect hero for a girl like me. He was cute, handsome and played some awesome roles. Of course, the movie played a great role in making him my crush.
But still, Zac Efron is my first celebrity crush. Now, he is not :P
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
31 DAY BLOGGING CHALLENGE DAY 9: Piercings and tattoos?
Reasons why I hate tattoos
Tattoos – marks with indelible designs which are formed by inserting pigments into the punctures of the skin. The very definition gives an ‘eewww’ kind of feeling. Why would anyone want to insert some kind of pigments into his skin? Still, a lot of people consider tattoos as the new ‘sexy and cool’ thing.
For me, they’re a big NO. Here’s why:
- It’s permanent: A temporary tattoo is all fine. You can get one for a particular occasion but getting something inked on your body forever is nothing less than a nightmare for me. What if my choice changes after a few years? For now I would love to have scorpion inked on the back of my neck but what about the future? Would I want the same thing? Humans are too unpredictable with their choices and they keep changing with time. A permanent tattoo is just not meant for humans like me.
- Social concerns: Though what people think about me doesn’t bother me much, having a tattoo is still considered bad in my society. And why fight for a thing you are yourself don’t like?
- Too difficult to choose: There are so many designs to choose for a tattoo which confuses you to a large extent. Many a times I thought of getting a temporary tattoo, I even convinced my mom to allow me to get a tattoo but when it came to choosing the design, I backed off. And it has happened more than once and has added to my hatred for tattoos.
- Expensive: When I went to Goa, I seriously planned to get a tattoo but spending 3000 above rupees on an ink mark which would do nothing but make your skin look dirty and make you look bad isn’t a good idea. Is it?
- Safety concerns: who knows what goes into those pigments? The machines those people use look far away from safe. I don’t think they take any kind of precautions to save people from communicable skin diseases.
Tuesday, June 24, 2014
31 DAY BLOGGING CHALLENGE DAY 8 : The old photo of mine that I would never want you to see!
Ever came across a childhood photo which would embarrass you beyond the limits? Ever tried to destroy a photo just because you hate being reminded of it? Ever got nightmares due to a ugly and horrible click?
What if I asked you to show such a picture of yours to me? What if I asked you to post it on your blog? How would you feel?
When I discussed this task with a friend of mine, he insisted that I should post this picture. One of the most horrible pictures of mine according to me..
This is a picture clicked in 2008 or maybe 2007 when I played the role (kinda) of Kakayi who was Lord Rama’s step mother and also the main reason due to which Lord Rama was sent on exile. This fact is enough for my friends to make fun of me.
But that wasn’t enough. Maybe I was out of my mind when I decided to get the picture in this pose.
Anyways, without talking much I think I should allow you to have a good time laughing at this picture. :P
Monday, June 23, 2014
31 DAY BLOGGING CHALLENGE DAY 7: 10 favorite foods
Of course I am a foodie who loves to taste new dishes but that doesn’t mean I don’t have my favorite foods list. There are some dishes which never got me bored and which always work to as appetizers for my senses.
Today’s challenge was to write about 10 favorite foods of mine.. Here they’re..
- Dalia: The first thing I do when I sit in the bus for Bathinda is to call my mom and ask her to keep the Dalia prepared for me. The spicy version of this very basic dish is awesome and health friendly. This is the only diet friendly food I have in my favorites list.
- Kadhi Chaawal: My best friend might hate this dish from the core of his heart but love this and would love this forever. The special pakoras that are put into the Kadhi are like an additional treat. And my mom makes it the best.
- Noodles: Whenever I am in Mohali, I am often found at Gobinds Sweet House relishing the Paneer Noodles. The memories of loving noodles are as old as I am. Seriously!
- Upma: Believe it or not, I do love the not so spicy south Indian. Most of the Punjabis hate it but when you’re cooking it at home, you can always add the spicy touch to the south Indian food and that’s what I love.
- Bhindi: the typical Indian dish with ladyfinger as the key ingredient is a childhood favorite and it is still on the top of my favorite food list especially for lunch.
- Chicken: Yes, like every other Punjabi I love Chicken. Tandoori, BBQed, home cooked, all these delectables are my dearies.
- Prawns: Ever tasted the prawns at Barbeque Nation? If you have, then you would know why it’s my pick.
- Rajmah Chaawal: I’m sure my best friend would be very happy to see this in my list. There was a time when didn’t even like to look at Rajmah chaawal but now, believe it or not, I love this dish.
- Chocolates: Which girl doesn’t like it?
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Once I got a compliment that I look like Vanilla Ice Cream (coz of my complexion). The compliment is a bit weird (sweet too) but since then, the only ice-cream flavor I like is Vanilla.
Sunday, June 22, 2014
31 DAY BLOGGING CHALLENGE DAY 6: 3 personality traits I am proud of
Personality is what describes a person. The people around you would judge you on the basis of personality you have. You might try to fake it up but at the end, your actual personality would be right in front of one and all. So, it’s always better to develop a good personality.
By personality, I don’t refer just to the kind of clothes or fashion statement one follows (of course they matter). Personality is everything – from what you wear, eat and do to what you think, perceive and reflect.
And today’s challenge was to write about the personality traits I am proud of. The list consists of 3 traits which I have in myself (or I think I have) and describes what makes me proud of them.
1. Being square: straightforwardness came naturally to me. I never asked for it and sometimes I also curse this personality trait I have. Just imagine you’re talking to the chief management officials and you’re asked a question which needs to be answered in a diplomatic way.
At such a time, a person who never learnt to be square would be loved but a person like me would become the villain of the entire workspace. For one thing I have failed to learn in my life is being a diplomatic person.
I don’t like something in you, I would tell you right at your face. I won’t mind what you would think or feel (I do to some extent but still).
But now when I have met quite a number of people and seen them showing their kid-glove even when they need to be truthful, I am proud that I am a straight forward person. I am not into back biting and bitching about things or people. I would rather say it on your face than discussing with others.
2. Professional: It’s been three years since I have been studying in a professional college but if you ask the people of my college to come in formals, you would see maximum of the girls wearing gaudy satin tops with jeans and boys wearing half sleeves shirts with denims.
Being professional is something I learnt through my experience at AIESEC but isn’t that expected from every person who enrolls into a professional degree?
What’s the use of getting 80% above marks when you don’t understand how to talk, how to behave, how to wear clothes and how to present yourself in front of other people?
Thank you AIESEC you saved me from being a part of that lot. I am proud to be an AIESECer and hence I have professionalism in all the work I do (haters RIP).
3. Curiosity: Curiosity is the best power gifted to mankind by the almighty. If we hadn’t been curious enough, there would no steam engine, airplane or any other invention that is now an inseparable part of our life. If we hadn’t been curious, we wouldn’t have studied history or any other subject. If we hadn’t been curious, we would have had no knowledge.
While the second personality trait is the result of efforts of my school and AIESEC, this one is the result of genes that I have in my body. And I am proud of it.
So, that’s it. The three personality traits I am proud of. I could have written more but the challenge asked me to mention three and respecting the laziness in me, I accepted to stick to just three. : )
ALSO READ: WHAT TYPE OF PERSONALITY DO YOU OWN
Hey, I took a lot of time to write this post and I wrote with almost a broken hand.. And still you can't take out few seconds to comment? I want to hear what you gotta say about my post, my thoughts, your thoughts on the same subject and your own self. COMMENT!